top of page


The California Board for Professional Engineers, Land Surveyors, and Geologists (BPELSG) oversees the applications and examinations of the Professional Engineer (PE) license for civil engineering.

Before becoming a licensed PE, applicants are required to pass the fundamentals of engineering (FE) exam and national civil engineering exam. The national civil engineering exam is hosted by the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES). 

The BPELSG requires two additional state-specific tests: seismic and surveying. These exams may be taken only after approval of a civil engineering application. 

For additional details, review informaiton at the resources linked below. SF YMF hosts regular PE information sessions with Natalie King, PE from the BPELSG. Sign-up for our newsletter and look out for the next information session to learn more!

bottom of page